Pages From My Skin

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

HOMELESS & PICKY

Peep the scene:

I exit Sylvia's (classic restaurant in Harlem) with leftovers in my hand. I'm talking some amazing whiting fish, garlic/herbal mashed potatoes, yams, and mac & cheese! Yum, right!?

Well...check it out! There was a man on the corner begging for change. I felt mad guilty holding this food (and I'm talking DElicious food!) in my hand so I offer it to him. Below is the dialogue that ensued:

ME: Excuse me, I got some food from the restaurant right there, would you like to eat it?
MAN: Uhhmmm....well, what you got?
ME: Uh, I got fish with...
MAN: Fish? What kind of fish?
ME: I believe whiting. Yeah, whiting fish.
MAN: It's not catfish, is it?
ME: No...whiting.
MAN: You sure it's not catfish!?
ME: Yeah, I'm pretty sure. I was just eating it. There's a whole piece in there. Untouched.
MAN: Well, I don't know. What else is in there?
ME: Uhm, there's mac & chesse, yams....
MAN: Eghhhh... (shakes his head back & forth like he's debating in his mind)
ME: My dude, it's alright. You don't have to eat it. I was just offering.
MAN: Nah, I guess I can.

At this point, we're both holding on to the styrofoam container.

ME: Look, if you're gonna eat it, I'll give it to you. If not, I actually enjoyed the food. I wouldn't at all mind finishing it later tonight.
MAN: No, it's fine. I'll take it. (Looks at the container like I just offered him a bag of shit) Thanks.

I start to walk away when he yells!

MAN: I JUST DON'T LIKE CATFISH, ALRIGHT! YOU LIKE PIG'S FEET!? IF I OFFERED YOU PIG'S FEET AND YOU DIDN'T LIKE IT, WOULD YOU EAT IT!!?? HUH, WOULD YA!!!??

I have not been able to get over this. Can someone help me out here? Was I wrong? The man didn't have to be ecstatic for the food but it wasn't like I was offering him a laffy taffy. In that container was a whole meal. That act doesn't make me a humanitarian by any means but you go around the world and see people picking food off the floor and out of the garbage. In NYC, you got homeless folks who are vegetarian, vegan, and lactose intolerant for crying out loud. I just DO NOT understand. Dios mio!

3 Comments:

  • Fascious, you already know the answer. Homelessness is not usually an earmark of a person who's doing well at life. The fact that he was shouting about pig's feet supports my guess that he's not entirely well. Kudos to you for sharing your food with him though. He might not've appreciated it, but I do, and he had a full belly for a minute. Styrofaom though?! How unfascious of you.

    By Blogger Allen Spinsberg, At March 3, 2010 at 4:14 PM  

  • this is hilarious! You did the right thing my friend

    By Blogger Daniel Kelleghan, At March 9, 2010 at 10:06 PM  

  • Homeless people have standards and preferences too, I suppose.

    By Blogger Mae, At March 31, 2010 at 11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home