Pages From My Skin

Monday, March 1, 2010

SHUTTER ISLAND...REVIEW??

Martin Scorsese: SAY IT AIN'T SO!

The 2 hours and 18 minutes of this film was hard to bare. I think Leonardo did the best with what he could given the script's multiple layers of complexity but nonetheless, I think the movie falls short...rather unfavorably. I never read the book this movie was based on but based on the text, it seems like it was a way better read than it could have ever accurately been translated to the big screen.

In brief, I haven't seen a movie this disappointing since I witnessed The Wrestler (Directed by Darren Aronofsky...my favorite director hands down!) The Wrestler in its entirety was great. (Don't get me wrong!) It was just the ending that got me like....uhhhhh. My man Mickey Rourke gets on the top turnbuckle, crying (about to have the most fulfilling moment of his career)...jumps...and the screen blacks out! WTF!! Really??! I get the whole "imagine what happened" or "put the pieces together yourself" perspective but damn! Wasn't feeling that. (Forgive the tangent)

Anyhow, I strongly suggest not paying to see Shutter Island. I almost walked out twice but the person I was with convinced me not to. What can I say? Had I not paid $22...I'd a def walked out! It was 7:30pm on a Saturday night and you could actually hear people yawning. That bad! As excited as I was to see it, I'd have to say it was quite the yawn launcher and...I have to say in many ways cliche. Or at least not very innovative. It looked like it needed at least another 2 or 3 months in post production. I've been trying to look up who composed the music for this film. (If you find out...please send me an email: info@fascious.com) I don't even have it in me to admit the adjectives that come to mind. But hey, I'm not a movie critic, neither am I in a position to say what sounds like tasteless-played out-typical and predictable scary movie music. Honestly, I only KNOW what I like. And I KNOW you couldn't get me to watch this movie again. If you haven't seen it yet...save yourself!

1 Comments:

  • "What's interesting about the score to Shutter Island is that none of it was composed exclusively for the film, but there's plenty of orchestrated music that fits the movie beautifully. Scorsese actually had Robbie Robertson, who worked on the music for The Departed and Gangs of New York, to find existing songs to use for the film." - Amazon.com

    By Blogger intangiblecollective, At March 3, 2010 at 9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home