Pages From My Skin

Saturday, August 20, 2011

FIRST TIME EVER TOURING CANADA

Canada was amazing!!! Got to work with several 7-12 years olds in Toronto. So much passion and energy! We played games, spoke about Hip Hop, wrote poems, drew pictures, and had lots of fun! I also featured at the BAM! Youth Slam in Toronto where I covered a 13 minute poem by Gil Scott Heron entitled “The Ghetto Code (Dot Dot Dit Dit Dot Dot Dash).” The venue was packed with youth predominately from Asia and Africa. Such a beautiful exchange of history, culture, and art.

Had another show in Hamilton that was organized in a youth center unfortunately on the verge of closing down. Roughly 50 people showed up ranging from 7-8 years olds to teenagers, young adults in their 20s, to men and women in their 50s & 60s. I have to admit that I was super flattered when the youth in Hamilton wanted me to sign autographs. Not even just a few either! I was signing cds, posters, belts, sneakers, pieces of paper, arms, and elbows! Many of the youth were refugees from Northern Africa. Humbling beyond words. The entire tour was a bundle of powerful moments, inspiring conversations, and dope performances. So blessed. So thankful.

Special shout outs and thanks to Aiden, Redge, Barrio Nuevo, and everyone who made this tour possible!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home